Monday 29 March 2010

Final Proposal

I have been asked to create a project, which is solely based on the term ‘D.N.A’. This is an extremely vague term and can be interpreted in vast number of ways. I will be solely concentrating on the ‘structure’ part of DNA. My message will be that the structure of a double helix is structured perfectly and that it is unique. My next step will be to compare the double helix to another uniquely structured item which is an analogue watch (workings and innards). My end result will be an exploded diagram/model of a double helix with actual watch bits; however I would like to make a larger scale model of this so I will be using Styrofoam to form this and paint over it to give it a smooth finish.

My research will consist of exploded diagrams/models for the practical part of the brief. I have visited a Museum/Gallery in London for my primary research and have taken pictures as a form of research; I will also be looking to do some more primary research to further my knowledge of DNA. My secondary research consists of experimental work that I have created by drawing a few icons of DNA in Adobe Illustrator.

Also I have seen a Gallery on the internet which had an exhibition of an exploded diagram which consisted of large components of an analogue watch which related to me because it is exactly what I am trying to achieve with this brief, so it will be interesting to see if I will be able to go to the actual exhibition.

I will want to experiment with many materials and methods for this model which include Styrofoam, collage, cardboard and paint. Another end result I am looking to do is a promotional or informative poster for my models.

I will develop my poster many times till it is perfect, also it will take many hours of hard work and concentration to make my two models. My ideal poster would have at-least three subliminal messages. I will have to be extremely determined because I will be working with actual watch bits and they will be very miniature; my actions must be precise.

My end products will be the following : one double helix model made with actual watch bits, one double helix model made with large scale Styrofoam models of actual watch bits and one promotional or informative poster for these two models. I have 6 weeks to complete this task so I will need my full undivided attention and concentration to be focused/channelled to this brief.

At the end of year show I am hoping to produce an exceptional brief by carrying this idea out and making it unique, fresh and innovative. To do this I must produce a detailed action plan that I must follow so that I don’t lose track of what I am doing and so that I don’t fall back and lose my initiative.

1 comment:

  1. Shabir - despite all your promises, there is no update to your blog in 2 weeks and no review of Gattaca - I hope you have watched it. I want to see a lot of work on here by Monday please.

    ReplyDelete